Hy’s one of the most famous old-school steakhouses in Canada to have on the menu a beautiful feature that does not have meat as its centrepiece!
The dish that gets me every time I dine is their the Spinach Salad – prepared right before your eyes. If you like warm salad like I do you can’t miss to try this dish.
I replicated it at home and got very close to the taste profile – so I would like to share it with you.
Prep Time:20 min
Level:Easy Serves: 4 servings
8 ounces spinach
2 large Boiled eggs
8 pieces thick-sliced bacon, chopped
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 large white mushrooms, sliced
3 ounces red onion (1 small), very thinly sliced
- Remove the stems from the spinach and wash, drain and pat dry thoroughly. Place into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Slice each egg into small pieces and set aside.
- Fry bacon and remove to a paper towel to drain, reserving 3 tablespoons of the rendered fat. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Transfer the fat to a small saucepan set over low heat and whisk in the red wine vinegar, sugar and Dijon mustard. Season with a small pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper.
- Add the mushrooms and the sliced onion to the spinach and toss.
- Add the dressing and bacon and toss to combine.
- Divide the spinach between 4 plates or bowls and evenly divide the egg among them. Season with pepper, as desired.
Serve immediately and enjoy!